While energy is high at Theatre in the Square with the excitement of celebrating the 30th Anniversary Season, reality has settled on the fact that the economy has taken its toll, leaving the theatre to ask for the support of the community or risk closing its doors forever.
The theatre’s board and staff have worked hard to function on a tight budget over the last few seasons. The non-profit organization has a $1.5 million operating budget of which 65% of the income is through ticket sales and the other 35% relies on donations of individuals, corporations and foundations. “…We are, quite bluntly put, on the brink of financial disaster. The need is real, it is urgent and it is immediate,” says Co-Founder and Producing Director, Palmer Wells.
To address the need, Theatre in the Square is launching the SAVE YOUR SEAT, SAVE OUR THEATRE campaign. Each of the 225 seats in the theatre’s main stage will be “sold” for $1,000 between now and October 15, 2011. Donors will have their name on the back of the seat on a small plaque, and can select which seat they want to name on a first come, first served basis.
Even if you can’t save a seat by donating $1,000, every dollar counts toward saving Theatre in the Square. Donations can be given online at theatreinthesquare.com and clicking on DONATE on the home page. You may also call Theatre in the Square at 770-422-8369 or send in your donation to 11 Whitlock Ave SW, Marietta, GA 30064, C/O Save My Seat.
"Theatre in the Square has become such a vibrant thread in the fabric that makes up Marietta. The idea of there not being a Theatre in the Square seems unfathomable and I know that the board and staff all agree that we are ready to fight to save this theatre,” says Board President, Cathy Adams. We are fully aware that we are not the only arts organization that is fighting in this tough economy. We hope to see not only Theatre in the Square, but all of the arts organizations in the area continue to survive and thrive in the coming years.