BroadwayWorld.com, the largest theatre site on the Internet, is excited to announce a new feature to its comprehensive regional coverage - the Featured Regional Theater of the Week! Each week, BWW will introduce its readers to a regional theater located in one of our (over 130!) coverage cities. By exploring these different venues, their history and showcasing the production seasons, BWW continues its commitment to expand our presence in communities and cities across the United States.
This Week's Featured Regional Theater: The Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA
The fabulous Fox Theatre is one of Atlanta's premiere venues for live entertainment and was declared a Top Stop of the Decade by Venues Today Magazine and the #1 non-residency venue worldwide for the decade by Billboard Magazine. In addition, The Fox Theatre was nominated for Theatre of the Year by Billboard and Pollstar Magazines, and awarded the Outstanding Historic Theatre of the Year award in 2011 by the League of Historic American Theatres.
For the past decade, The Fox Theatre has been consistently ranked in the top three non-residency theatres worldwide for gross ticket sales by industry trade magazines, Pollstar, Billboard and Venues Today. The Fox Theatre was ranked #1 in the Social Media Power 100, compiled by Venues Today Magazine and #8 worldwide among all venues.
The Fox's 4,665 seat theatre hosts 250 performances a year. An impressive range of events from rock concerts to Broadway, ballets, comedy and movies continue to attract over 500,000 visitors per year. In addition, The Fox is host to wedding receptions, trade shows, corporate meetings and association functions in its fabulous ballrooms, lounge and outdoor terrace.
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization, the Fox Theatre stands today as a fiercely protected landmark and a nationally acclaimed theater and is celebrating its 83rd year. The proud partners of the Fox Theatre are Delta, Coca-Cola, and Lexus. The official partner of the Fox Theatre is DeepBlue and the supporting partners are The Georgian Terrace and Livingston. Tickets for all events are available at The Fox Theatre Ticket Office, online at www.FoxAtlTix.com, and at all Atlanta Ticket Alternative locations including Whole Foods Markets, or toll free at 855-ATL-TIXX. For group sales information contact The Fox Theatre at (404) 881-2000, or visit The Fox Theatre website at www.foxtheatre.org. The Fox Theatre is located at 660 Peachtree Street NE.
Some fun facts include:
- Today, the Fox is priceless, and would be impossible to rebuild.
- The discovery of King Tut's tomb in 1922 launched a worldwide fascination with Egyptian décor. The results can be seen interwoven with the Moorish décor of the Fox.
- The theatre's enormous Bedouin canopy overhang is really a work of plaster and steel rods that not only serves as ornamentation, but also as an acoustical funnel to project sound to the rear of the house.
- The Fox Theatre can seat up to 4,678 patrons.
- The beguiling sky is actually a vaulted ceiling painted ultramarine blue. The twinkling stars are 11-watt bulbs fixed above three-inch crystals. The drifting clouds are produced by a special projector.
- The Fox Theatre ballrooms have hosted receptions and special events for visiting ambassadors, noted U.S. politicians, and internationally acclaimed dignitaries.
- An estimated 750,000 people visit the Fox Theatre every year.
- Until 1995, coal was used to heat the steam boilers in case of emergency. The Fox still houses the original steam boilers today.
- The Fox Theatre was one of the earliest air conditioned buildings in the country, even preceding the White House.
- The Fox Theatre serves more than four and a half tons of popcorn each year.
Beginning April 1, the historical movie palace rich in performing arts and architectural history will host regular tours of its magical venue. The tours are one of many ways in which The Fox Theatre is keeping its promise to preserve and share the Fox Theatre with the citizens of Atlanta, the very people who have kept it running for the past 30+ years. Tours will take place on Mondays and Thursdays at 10 AM, 11 AM, 12 PM and 1 PM and on Saturdays at 10 AM and 11 AM. Ticket prices range from $15 for military and seniors, and $18 for adults (free for children 10 and under). Find specific tour times and purchase tickets at www.FoxATLTix.com, call 855-ATL-TIXX (855-285-8499) or at the Fox Theatre ticket office.