Atlanta Symphony Announces 2012 Holiday Concerts
The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra brings live music into the lives of its community, and the coming holiday season will be no different. From Pops to Gospel and Celtic Woman, to the family-favorite Kid's Christmas and traditional Messiah and "Christmas with the ASO," there is a live holiday music experience for everyone. Seven holiday programs will make up this year's 2012 Coca-Cola Holiday Concerts series, December 6–31, 2012.
- December 6, 7, and 8, 2012, 8:00 p.m. (four performances) - "Christmas with the ASO": A traditional Atlanta Christmas event kicks off a month-long holiday extravaganza. For more than five decades, these classic concerts have featured the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Morehouse College Glee Club, and Gwinnett Young Singers, conducted by Norman Mackenzie.
- December 9 and 16, 2012, 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. (four performances) - "Second Chance Christmas – ASO Kid's Christmas": A heartwarming fictional story that captures the magic and meaning of Christmas. The Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra is on their way to perform at Carnegie Hall when a bad winter storm leaves them stranded in Second Chance, a small mining town with a sad secret. But conductor Jere Flint and the Youth Orchestra experience the power of music as it transforms this small town and everyone in it.
- December 13 and 15, 2012, 8:00 p.m.- Handel's Messiah: Norman Mackenzie conducts the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Chorus in Handel'sMessiah and "Gloria" from Bach's Mass in B minor.
- December 14 and 15, 2012, 8:00 p.m. - "Gospel Christmas": The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and the ASO Gospel Choir, conducted by Kirk Smith.
- December 20, 2012, 8:00 p.m. – "Celtic Woman: A Christmas Celebration": Celtic Woman returns to perform songs from its chart-topping Christmas albums and DVDs as well as new material. The group is comprised of five Irish women with a repertoire that ranges from traditional Celtic tunes to modern songs.
- December 21, 2012, 8:00 p.m. and 22, 2012, 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. (three performances) - "A Very Merry Holiday Pops": Michael Krajewski conducts a variety show of popular holiday standards, with many special guests: Tony Award-winner and newly-inducted Disney Legend Jodi Benson, a jitterbugging Santa, a reveling drumline, and the Grady High School Chorus.
- December 31, 2012, 8:00 p.m. - "ASO New Year's Eve": Ring in the New Year at Symphony Hall with Principal Pops Conductor Michael Krajewski and the Orchestra as they are joined by singer and pianist Tony DeSare and his trio for an evening of great American standards, from Rodgers and Hammerstein to Porter and Prince.
All concerts will take place in Atlanta Symphony Hall at the Woodruff Arts Center. Additional concert details are available at www.aso.org.
KINKY BOOTS vs. MATILDA for Best Musical and More...